Monday, February 16, 2009

My Weight Debt

I had a bit of a revelation yesterday. I was in the car and I was thinking about my weight and how I was doing with my eating that weekend. I was thinking about how when I eat, I need to make my calories count...like I make my money count. I wouldn't just walk into a store and give them money without expecting something for it. Why would I carelessly spend my calories that way?

In a way it's like a weight debt. I started thinking about it in terms of a credit card. I spend calories on my food Visa card and the interest I earn is my extra weight. Things like activity and healthy foods (fruit and veggies) are payments against the balance on my weight card. If you don't make any payments or just pay the minimum then the balance keeps getting bigger and bigger...and so do you!

There are certain requirements in any budget. You have to build in rent, food, clothes, transportation, etc. Anything you have left over is considered disposible income...you can spend it any way you want. The same is true in any diet. Anything leftover after the requirements, you can eat in any way you want.

Okay, so in terms of a food budget, what is required daily? There are a couple of places to go to find out what you need. You can go to the food pyramid for one (remember the food pyramid from grade school?)...personally I use both the food pyramid and Weight Watchers.

Daily Requirements from the Food Pyramid:
  • Calories = 1600
  • Fiber = 5 ounces
  • Veggies = 2 cups
  • Fruit = 1 1/2 cups
  • Milk/dairy = 3 cups
  • Protein = 5 ounces
  • Liquids = 8 cups

Daily Requirements from Weight Watchers:

  • Liquids = 8 cups
  • Dairy = 3 servings
  • Fruits and Veggies = 8 servings
  • Multivitamin = 1
  • Healthy Oils = 3 servings
  • Activity

I'm keeping a food journal (recommended by WW) and in that food journal I have headings for things like liquids, dairy, fruit, veggies, protein, fiber, vitamin and activity. When I eat something, my first thought is "Where can I put a mark in my food journal?" If the answer is no where, then I rethink my food choice.

Of course it's all neat and tidy in theory...in reality I have to face tough choices everyday. This weekend I took Nicholas and Abby to a birthday party each day. Both days I had to face pizza and cake...two of my favorites. I'm happy to say that both days I was able to choose wisely. I did lick some frosting off my finger on Saturday...but both days I resisted actually eating pizza or a slice of cake.

One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment